Saturday, February 28, 2009

NO WALLS Outreach


"Jesus Christ came to end the organized part of religion that was destroying HIS very being. When Christ died so did the walls of the Church, God no longer resided in buildings but in the temple of the Holy Spirit which was us, HIS people! Christ came to end all religion and restore relationship with GOD Almighty,that we all can obtain by just believing that HE is the son of GOD and thru HIM and HIM alone do we have access to eternal life. GOD has given "NO WALLS" a vision, to look outside the BUILDING!" ~http://www.nowallsoutreach.com

Who we be??

We are a group of Christ followers united in His name for His purpose.

Our first outreach event was held today at Fairmount Park in Downtown Riverside at 10 in the AM. Our mission: To meet, feed, and love on the homeless, the lonely, and the hungry. We split up into small groups in search of people to invite over to our gathering area.

I was in a group with two men; they did most of the talking. Mainly because I'm not so good at striking a conversation with complete strangers. I wanted to "observe" how they went about doing it. Aside from collecting some pointers, I was soaking so much in. I was marveling at the dichotomy of the park. A park that on one hand is filled with natures beauty, but on the other holds so much pain and brokenness. A park that I'm barely familiar with, even though I've lived in Riverside for over 15 years. You see, anytime I'd hear mention of Fairmount Park it was in the form of dire warnings never to go. Because after all, that's where all the homeless, drug addicts, prostitutes, and hoodlums kick it. Does that hold true to this day? More or less, I'm just not sure as to the extent. So, why decide to go now?

I go as a servant to my Lord. A woman desperate to walk in the manner in which I've been called. With pleadings for eyes to see as He sees, a heart to love as He loves, and a compassion that has no end. I am a soul that was once lost, but by the grace of God have been saved. I'd like to share that hope with others. Not by slamming a bible in their face or dragging them to church, but by loving them as Jesus loves me and as He loves all.

As we headed back to our spot, my heart stopped and tears sprung to my eyes. Before me I saw our vision unfold. Gathered together in love and kindness were my brothers and sisters, the homeless and the needy.

I met some people today who's faces and stories will remain with me. My heart broke as the reality of their world sunk in.... A mother whose husband was deported and is now living out of a van with her six children. A 15 year old mother of a baby girl. A woman expecting a child. And many more women and men with no homes or families to turn to.




This was the first of many more events such as today's. I can't wait to continue to experience the plans that our Father has for NO WALLS Outreach.

No comments: